Suitable for those who have been coming to the Buddhist Centre for more than three months. Hosted by Singhamati and Team.
At the heart of the Birmingham Buddhist Centre is a community of people that are exploring and practising Buddhism – this is the sangha. Every Thursday night is Sangha Night, where we come together to create a place of friendship, connection and depth, whilst enjoying collective meditation, Dharma and devotional practice. Like most of our events, it is run on a donation basis.
From 6 August Sangha Night will be a hybrid class which you can attend in-person or online. To come to any event in person you need to book and read the important information about attending. You don’t need to book to attend online. Click here to join via Zoom.
Important: Attending an In-person Event
We are delighted to be welcoming people back to the Buddhist Centre but we’ll be doing things differently to keep everyone as safe as possible, with social distancing, enhanced hygiene and other new arrangements.
- You need to book online for every event you want to come to – places are limited so we can keep our distance. You’ll be asked for contact details – to be kept for a few weeks so we can contact you if someone at your class develops COVID-19.
- Do not attend an event (even if you’ve booked) if you have COVID-19 symptoms or you’ve been in contact with someone who has t
- Stay 2 metres from others at all times, refrain from hugging and use the hand sanitiser provided.
- Wear a face covering (unless you are exempt from doing so) on entry, exit and when moving around the building (where it is harder to maintain distance). From 8 August Government rules require face coverings to be worn throughout places of worship. We’ll have face masks available for those who don’t have one, but if you can bring your own that will save our resources.
- All events will be in our larger rooms already set up with mat, chair and cushion in each place 2 metres apart. Please bring a blanket if you want to use one.
- The café area is closed – please bring a bottle of soft drink if you want to.
- Toilets will be open for use (though fewer than usual). Where possible please use the toilet at home to reduce demand.
- Please arrive between 15 and 5 minutes before the class – and go straight into the Shrine Room on arrival.
- Our classes continue to run on a donation basis. To reduce contact with cash please consider making a donation online.
- The Library is closed but the Bookshop will be open for the class.
August: Becoming a Buddhist
This series features the stories of four Order members and their encounters with the teachings of the Buddha. What motivated them to move towards the Three Jewels and what helped them get more fully involved in the sangha? What did their family and friends make of it? Were there stumbling blocks? As we hear their stories, it may prompt recollections of our own past or current inspirations and struggles.
6 August: Maitrisara
13 August: Mahasiddhi
20 August: Singhamati
27 August: Jayabodhi
Each class will include a period of meditation, a personal talk and time for reflection.