We take the issue of privacy seriously. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at:
Birmingham Buddhist Centre, 11 Park Road, Moseley, Birmingham B13 8AB
Telephone: 0212 449 5279
HOW WE GET PERSONAL INFORMATION
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you when you:
- Book on a class, course, retreat, event or group organised by the Buddhist Centre, by email, through the web, with a paper form, by telephone or in person.
- Sign up to one of our mailing list to be notified about upcoming events, by email, through the web (e.g. one of our websites or Facebook), with a paper form, by telephone or in person.
- Make a purchase, booking or donation other than with cash (e.g. by credit or debit card, Paypal, bank transfer or standing order).
- Make a Gift Aid declaration by email, through the web, through a paper form, by telephone or in person.
- Hire a room at the Buddhist Centre.
- Volunteer at the Buddhist Centre.
- Apply to work for the Buddhist Centre.
- Become a Mitra at the Buddhist Centre.
- Become a member of our charity.
- Become a trustee of the Buddhist Centre.
- Interact with us on social media platforms.
- Contact the Buddhist Centre for any other reason by email, through the web, by post, by telephone or in person.
We also receive personal information indirectly, for example, from partner organizations working with carers.
HOW WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use the information that you have given us to:
- Offer information and guidance on Buddhist practice.
- Communicate with people interested in the activities run by the Buddhist Centre and associated groups.
- Organise our classes, courses, retreats, events and groups.
- Manage our relationship with people involved with the Buddhist Centre.
- Provide a service to people hiring a room at the Buddhist Centre.
- Manage our finances.
- Meet our contractual obligations (e.g. to Forward Carers).
- Undertake our employment responsibilities.
- Fulfil our responsibilities for child protection and the safeguarding of adults at risk.
- Manage our governance arrangements.
- Respond to questions and complaints and try to resolve them.
- Improve our websites and social media engagement.
- Train our staff and volunteers to improve our quality of service.
- Communicate with regulators and government agencies (e.g. Charity Commission and HMRC).
- Obey regulations and laws that apply to us.
SHARING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will never sell or trade your personal data. It may be shared within the team at the Buddhist Centre, or with those organising a particular activity, but we will not disclose your personal information to any third party unless we believe that disclosure is necessary:
- To meet contractual requirements (e.g. with Forward Carers).
- To conform to legal requirements.
- To protect our rights.
- To protect the safety of those attending the Buddhist Centre or members of the public.
LAWFUL BASES FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL INFORMATION
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful bases we may rely on for processing this information are:
- Your consent. You are able to withdraw your consent at any time.
- To fulfil our contractual obligations.
- To meet our legal obligations.
- To perform a public task.
- To pursue our legitimate interests.
By ‘processing’ we mean collecting, recording, organizing, altering, adapting, storing, retrieving, consulting, disclosing, combining, erasing, destroying or otherwise using this information.
THE TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect, store and use the following types of information:
- Contact details: name, home address, email address, social media identity and telephone number.
- Demographic information: gender, age bracket (some activities are for specific groups only).
- Dietary restrictions, next-of-kin details and medical information (e.g. for retreats or carers breaks).
- Next of kin (e.g. for carers breaks).
- Payment details (e.g. card information, bank or Paypal account details needed to process transactions).
- Race, nationality, religion or ethnic background (e.g. for monitoring of equality and diversity).
- Details of service with the Buddhist Centre, experience, and training received.
- Details of qualifications and personal insurances.
- Date of birth (e.g. for employees and trustees).
- National Insurance number (e.g. for employees).
- Details of DBS checks.
- Correspondence with us.
- Details of services we have provided.
- Information provided to us about other individuals (e.g. dependent relatives).
- Comments made on our social media platforms.
- IP address, how much time you spend on the site and what you like to view. (Used solely to manage the websites, track usage and improve our website services. It does not identify the user personally and may occasionally be shared with analysts to help us improve our websites. However, our websites link to others you may find of interest and we are not responsible for the data collection practices of those websites.)
HOW WE STORE PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your information is securely stored. We aim to keep it only as long as needed for practical purposes, or as required by contractual obligations, or by law.
YOUR DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
- Your right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Your right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Your right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information, in certain circumstances.
- Your right to restriction of processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information, in certain circumstances.
- Your right to object to processing – You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information, in certain circumstances.
- Your right to data portability – You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
If you wish to make a request, please contact us at the Buddhist Centre
HOW TO COMPLAIN
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can contact us at the Buddhist Centre.
You can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you are unhappy with how we have used your data, at www.ico.org.uk
Last reviewed: July 2021